18 Jan Love Is 2023
Love Is celebrates healthy teen relationships in Orange County.
OCCF’s Love Is Giving Day takes place every February during National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, a movement to raise awareness about the issue of teen relationship violence. This annual, month-long effort focuses on advocacy and education to stop dating abuse before it starts. This is an issue that impacts everyone – not just teens – but their parents, teachers, friends, and communities as well. Together, we can raise awareness about teen dating violence and promote safe, healthy relationships.
Nationwide, youth aged 12 to 19 experience the highest rates of rape and sexual assault. Approximately 10% of adolescents report being the victim of physical violence at the hands of an intimate partner during the previous year. Girls are particularly vulnerable to experiencing violence in their relationships and are more likely to suffer long-term behavioral and health consequences, including suicide attempts, eating disorders, and drug use.
Some resources available to raise awareness of healthy relationships and teen dating abuse can be found on Youth.gov.
Love Is Participating Nonprofits:
- Crittenton Services – Crittenton offers behavioral health care, and individualized support, helping people in need to heal from trauma and reach their full potential. www.crittentonsocal.org
- Initiative to End Family Violence, UC Irvine – To solve the problems of family violence by uniting the expertise of university partners in collaborative research, education, and critical responses to abuse.
- Laura’s House – Our mission is to change the social beliefs, attitudes and the behaviors that perpetuate domestic violence while creating a safe space in which to empower individuals and families affected by abuse.
- LGBTQ Center OC – Our mission is to advocate on behalf of the LGBTQ community in Orange County and provide programs and services that ensure its well-being and positives identity.
- OC Pride – Orange County LGBT Pride’s Mission is to Strengthen the Identity of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community within Orange County. We Unite LGBTQ+ People, Empower Them to Live Openly with Pride and Promote Respect for All. Part of That is Celebrating Their Vibrant Culture, Traditions and Enduring Spirit. We Also Help Provide Opportunities to Foster Tolerance, Awareness, Safety and Support in the LGBTQ+ Community While Forging Alliances with the Orange County Public at Large.
- Planned Parenthood San Bernardino and Orange County – Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino Counties provides confidential, affordable, high-quality reproductive health care and fights for your fundamental right to determine your own destiny. We believe that respect and value for diversity in all aspects of our work are essential, and enable you to make responsible and informed choices through comprehensive, honest sex education and health information.
- The Priority Center – Our mission is to deliver life-changing programs, to assist people in crisis by giving them the tools and support necessary to end the generational cycle of trauma including prevention of child abuse and neglect, through early intervention and mental health services and advocacy.
- WTLC – Our mission is to help individuals and families escape the depths of domestic violence and exploitation.
Be sure to add the Love Is Giving Day on February 8, 2023 to your calendar!
Add event to calendar
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.