Family and Private Foundation Services
For individuals and families who opt to practice their philanthropy through a private foundation, the Orange County Community Foundation is a valuable partner. With extensive grant-making experience and vast community knowledge, OCCF is uniquely equipped to help you extend your philanthropic reach. We have distinct skills and experience in facilitating family conversations and supporting family traditions. Whether your foundation and its support staff are large or small, our array of services can ease the burden with:
- Research on issues, trends and fields of interest
- Personal consultation and site visits to local prospective grantees
- Extensive program, financial and governance data on area nonprofits
- Support for your application or proposal process
- Systems for managing grant applications and processing grant awards
- Monitoring and reporting on grantee accountability and use of grants
When does a fund at the Community Foundation make sense?
As a public charity, OCCF can accept a “qualifying distribution” from your private foundation to help fulfill your annual 5% payout requirement. This distribution can be placed in a fund to be advised by the trustees of your foundation, allowing you more time to deliberate and recommend grants. The benefits of a fund at OCCF include:
- No cost to establish
- No excise tax on income
- No annual distribution requirements
- No excessive paperwork, annual reporting requirements, separate tax return or audit
- Confidential and anonymous giving if you desire
- Access to OCCF’s expert staff to support your grant-making efforts
Click here for more information on establishing a Donor-Advised Fund.
Quick Reference Guide to Giving
Family Foundation Alliance
The Family Foundation Alliance is a group of local family foundations committed to learning and sharing together in order to maximize their philanthropic impact.
Membership is open to family members, board members and full time executive directors of private foundations. For more information contact Lisa Calvino.
FFA members have determined that each participating foundation should contribute an annual fee of $150 to support the costs of member educational events. This payment qualifies as a charitable distribution from your foundation to OCCF (a public charity). You can pay your membership fee online or via check:
• Online: Visit www.oc-cf.org/how-to-give/make-a-donation. In the designation drop-down menu, select “Family Foundation Alliance.” In the comments section, please note the payment is for a Family Foundation Membership fee and state the name of your foundation.
• Via Check: Make check payable to Orange County Community Foundation (write “FFA” in the memo section). Mail checks to:
Orange County Community Foundation
Attn: Lisa Calvino
4041 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 510
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Alliance Membership provides opportunities to connect with other local foundations to explore strategies for being more effective, impactful, and engaged in achieving philanthropic objectives. These opportunities include:
• Members only roundtable discussions
• Educational presentations
• Peer networking opportunities